Fishing Lodge Cap Cana is a colorful hotel that sits on a Dominican Republic marina, just minutes from the beach. With half a dozen different room types, no two guest rooms are the same here — some walk out to the expansive pool area, while others boast private balconies that hover over a glistening infinity pool. Here are five things we love about the Caribbean retreat:
1. Pools everywhere. Glistening pools can be found around every corner at Fishing Lodge Cap Cana. In addition to the massive main pool — tricked-out with a pool bar, lounge, Ping-Pong table and hundreds of cushy chairs — there’s also an adults-only pool and a peaceful one next to the Bistro (our Forbes Travel Guide editors recommend planting yourself here if you want to escape the crowds). On top of that, many of the guest rooms are attached to private plunge or infinity pools.
2. Local flair. Fishing Lodge is proud of its Dominican Republic location — and it shows. Everything was done locally, from the furniture to the fixtures. Keep your eyes peeled for an artsy feature around the corner from the front desk: There’s a curved kelly-green-hued wall made from old bottles of the iconic Dominican beer Presidente.
3. Kitchens in every room. The guest rooms here are really fully functioning condos, which means they all come with full-sized kitchens. Buy some groceries (fresh fish included) at Market Salamander Grille and whip up a meal right in the comfort of your room. Of course, room service and multiple restaurants are available as well.
4. The terraces. Each guest room at the Dominican Republic hotel has a terrace — and they’re all different. Depending on which room you stay in, your terrace could lead out to a private infinity pool or onto the pool deck.
5. Nightlife plans. Fishing Lodge Cap Cana had its soft opening in November 2011, but we think it’s well on its way to becoming a vibrant nightlife destination. Not only will there be half a dozen restaurants, but also a sports bar and a poolside nightclub.
Photo courtesy of Salamander Hotels and Resorts