With its dramatic two-story lobby and Italy-inspired pool deck, Trump SoHo New York is a welcome addition to the downtown New York hotel scene. Here are the five best things about the Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star hotel:
1. The views from the guest rooms. The high-rise hotel features Trumptonian views of the city and the Hudson River. Imagine soaking in your tub and gazing out at the Empire State Building. Just be sure to request a high floor otherwise you might be looking at the Holland Tunnel.
2. The spacious rooms. New York is known for its shoebox hotel rooms. Here, the space you get is perhaps the biggest luxury. The smallest room is a little more than 400 square feet, which still isn’t huge but many other downtown hotels offer half that. All rooms have seating areas, spacious bathrooms and floor-to-ceiling windows that make everything appear more expansive.
3. The location. Trump SoHo is located on the edge of SoHo, neighboring Tribeca and the West Village. If you’re in the city to shop, you’ve pretty much died and gone to retail heaven. SoHo’s cobblestone streets are also full of restaurants, cafes and galleries. If you’ve never stayed downtown before, Trump SoHo might be your excuse to venture into the neighborhood.
4. The spa. When you want to escape altogether, just hit the spa. The Spa at Trump SoHo is like taking a magic carpet ride to Turkey for the day. It is beautifully decorated with Turkish kettles, lanterns and mesh chandeliers that might have been purchased at some fab SoHo shop but they look authentic, and anyway, who cares. It’s easy to pretend you went to sleep and woke up in Istanbul upon entering one of the private hammams. The stunning mosaic-tiled rooms have heated marble slabs and the Turkish/Moroccan bath treatments are a must.
5. The public spaces. We love the soaring lobby with its Venetian plaster columns, handsome leather chairs neatly lined up against the wall and mezzanine library complete with art books and wine. The pool deck is still sort of unbelievable to us, this being New York City and all, and the meeting spaces are so cool, we found ourselves wishing we could have a corporate event there. Okay, not really, but if you must attend a corporate function, it’d be nice to have it on the hotel’s 46th-floor space. It’s pretty smokin’.
Photo courtesy of Trump SoHoTags: New York City, SoHo, Trump SoHo New York